Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Review of Twice Temped by Jeaniene Frost, Night Prince Book 2

Book Summary Derived from Amazon.com:
Dating the Prince of Darkness has its challenges . . .
 

Leila's psychic abilities have been failing her,and now she isn't sure what the future holds. If that weren't enough, her lover Vlad has been acting distant. Though Leila is a mere mortal, she's also a modern woman who refuses to accept the cold shoulder treatment forever--especially from the darkly handsome vampire who still won't admit that he loves her.

Like choosing between eternal love and a loveless eternity . . .

Soon circumstances send Leila back to the carnival circuit, where tragedy strikes. And when she finds herself in the crosshairs of a killer who may be closer than she realizes, Leila must decide who to trust--the fiery vampire who arouses her passions like no other, or the tortured knight who longs to be more than a friend? With danger stalking her every step of the way, all it takes is one wrong move to damn her for eternity . . .


My Review: 

Long story short- Masterpiece. This woman can write. But anyone who read paranormal romance even dismally already knows that. Jeaniene Frost is one of the best, her books so encapsulating that they overpower the reader. I have actually found myself saying, "Oh..what's one less, two less, three less hours of sleep," because I cannot put her books down. Twice Tempted was no different. Her characters are witty, sexy, and smart. Vlad is every woman's wet dream, that's a given. But, damn if I didn't find myself attracted to Leila while reading this book not to mention Vlad's "friend" Maximus. You feel like you know these characters and could even be part of their crazy world. That's what readers ultimately want.

There's a huge twist towards the beginning where Leila and Vlad are separated. I won't spoil the book for those of you who haven't had the chance to read it but it's a real turning point in their relationship.  

Leila is not damsel in distress, getting into trouble and surviving at every turn. It's uncanny what the moan has made it through. The real twist comes when Leila and Vlad's relationship takes a turn I don't think any of us were expecting so soon. And if that wasn't enough, Leila becomes more a part of Vlad's world than every before as a direct result of her annoyingly brave attempts to "help" Vlad. It was a shock, but a very welcome one and you are not going to want to miss it. 

The jealousy factor with Vlad's ex was a fantastic plot point. Leila being so involved and helping to solve the mystery so to speak was even better but her hand in punishing the traitor's was golden. She was ruthless and it made the reader see how much of a match she truly is for Vlad. Even intensely in love, Vlad is still his sarcastic self portraying an aura of arrogance and nonchalance but his feelings for Leila, feelings she can finally understand do to their bond, are impenetrable and literally take your breath away as a reader.

Leila retaining the ability to keep her powers and her strengths even through her the massive change she goes through in this book was perfect because only a strong, powerful woman could have a chance at taming Vlad the Impaler. And while she doesn't tame him in the traditional sense she certainly cracks the ice around his heart and makes him hers. It is an amazing, intimate story. Leila has really come into her own and gained a confidence we may not have thought possible after the first book.   

There is a melt you panties aspect to this book. The attraction is dark, and just plain incredible. It makes your pulse quicken, and your heart jump into your throat. The sex is amazing, and certainly not your ordinary missionary style adaptation. Leila and Vlad have a connection and a magnetism that makes the reader unable to stop reading, unable to take a break for fear of missing something. For those of you with lovers, keep them close because you are going to have some pent up sexual frustration after reading this one! ;)

No author does romance better. No author makes me mark days on my calendar for the next release like Jeaniene Frost. She manages to avoid the repetitive mundane-ness many paranormal authors can fall into by constantly throwing in land mines that trip you up and make you go, "Shit! I didn't see that coming." She had a gift and we as readers are lucky enough to get to experience it. I cannot wait for book three in this series. Read this series! You would be crazy not to!

My Ratings Ladies and Gents!:

Overall:
Heat Factor:
Favorite Quotes from the Book

“If you introduce yourself to anyone as Mrs. Dracula, I'll bite you in a manner you won't enjoy.”-Vlad

“You should be afraid. Very afraid. Before, I told you if you wanted to end things between us, I would let you go, but, Leila"--his voice deepened--"I lied.” - Vlad

“When I heard the ghouls coming for you, all I cared about was reaching you in time. How often must I tell you that you mean more to me than vengeance? I can live without defeating my enemies, but I cannot live without you.” - Vlad

“This wasn't the first time I'd woken up as a captive. It wasn't even the second. I so needed to reevaluate my life choices.” - Leila

“You can have all of me, I silently told him, but I'm taking all of you in return.” - Leila

“Only fools pity survivors their scars and you should never kowtow to fools”- Vlad

“I dare because I want no misunderstanding between us. I am everything you think I am, but I love your daughter, and what I love, I protect with all of the violence in me, which, as you've guessed, is considerable.” - Vlad

“Fourteen hundred and thirty-one."I blinked. -Vlad "What's that?" - Leila "The year I was born, which is not, as you'll not yesterday.”- Vlad

“I never turned any of my previous lovers because I didn’t want them to feel how little I cared. You I loved, yet you left me because I wouldn’t verbalize my emotions. That will probably happen again, but if you could feel what you mean to me, Leila” —his voice deepened— “words wouldn’t matter.”- Vlad

No comments:

Post a Comment