Search This Blog

Monday, April 29, 2013

Review of One Bite With A Stranger by Christine Warren

Summary Retrieved from www.amazon.com:
When Regina’s friends insist on setting her up a “Fantasy Fix” to help her get over her cheating ex, she dreams up some kinky out-of-this-world encounters that they could never possibly bring to life. But the next thing Regina knows, her friends have got her laced into a shiny black corset, tight leather pants, and a sexy pair of stilettos. It’s time for some downtown vampire-fantasy fun. . . .
The Vampire Ball in Manhattan’s East Village isn’t really Dmitri Vidâme’s idea of a good time, but as a member of the Council that governs the Others, he has to keep an eye on all the young vamps who prey on the pretenders. After he feasts his dark eyes on fiery Regina at the bar, he knows that he must have her. But for the first time Dmitri meets a woman who is more than a match for his indomitable will. And he may be the fantasy Regina hoped for… until she—and her feisty friends—discover her sexy new lover’s bloodsucking secret…


My Review:

Let me start by saying that I in no way believe writing a novel is an easy feat. I understand the process and I respect any author for getting published. This book has been sitting on my shelf of unread books for at least a year. I've wanted to read it but just hadn't gotten to it yet. It's always tough starting a brand new series from an author I haven't read when I've got so many current authors/series to keep up with. But that is definitely not a predicament I take issue with.

That said, I was actually quite disappointed with this book. I expected much more as I was pretty excited to finally read it. I really didn't think it was very well written to start with. There were errors all over the place and too many contradictions. One such instance was that Dmitri clouded Regina's thoughts when he fed from her so she didn't know and then he went on to yell at a new vampire saying something like "We never feed without permission." Well, doesn't what he did to Regina constitute feeding without permission?

I cannot stand how often Regina says "bucko." It just sounds silly and ruins the moment. There is absolutely such a thing as overusing certain words and this book is one of those instances.

Dmitri and Regina have no real relationship and fall in love after like 12 hours. It's crazy to me and while so much about paranormal romance may seem unrealistic, the authors typically find a way to make you believe it. This relationship just wasn't believable to me. There is no plot to this book, it's all sex and while I love reading a good sex scene as much as the next person, even the sex was hard to read for me.

Dmitri was WAY too dominant but not dominant is a sexy way, dominant in a "Are you kidding me asshole?," kind of way. I felt like he didn't treat Regina well at all and hoenstly I got the impression that while he tried to deny it and talk around it, he viewed Regina as a possession he could control. It was rather frustrating and I almost stopped reading a time or two. I just felt like for the most part the sex was awkward and I wanted to hurry up and get through it rather than linger and enjoy reading about it.

He treated her like she wasn't supposed to have an opinion and that he was in complete control of her. I have read many books about Dom/Sub relationships but this just wasn't put together the right way. The scene with the cuff links where Dmitri scolds Regina for dropping his cuff links during foreplay after he sucked her nipple, actually made me angry. I didn't like the way he talked to her. It wasn't a good or sexy vibe. There was also a scene where he told her she shouldn't talk a certain way and I wished I could reach through the pages and slap him.

Then there is the issue of Regina's friends. First of all, the whole Fantasy Fix thing is an awesome idea except if she wasn't interested in doing it then why the hell would she let her friends force her into it? No woman I know would ever allow anyone to force them into something they aren't comfortable with. Again, it's unrealistic. Regina talks this big game about being independent and then she just let's everyone walk on her and she just gives in to others whims way too easily. When her friends swarm in at the end of the book they aren't at all scared of Dmitri but when they find out that Regina is a vampire they hide like they're scared. It makes no sense!!!

There really needs to be more plot and relationship development. It had the potential to be really good. I did like the way Regina's looks were described. Additionally, I very much liked Graham. I thought he was funny and intriguing. I liked the ex-boyfriend being turned into a vampire and being part of the villain duo in this. I thought that was a very interesting twist and she could've taken that a little farther and gone more in depth with it.

Overall, I think this book was lacking. It has been a while since I have read a book I wasn't in to and especially one that I was looking forward to. I am unsure if I am going to continue the series at this point but if I do I sure hope they get better.

My Ratings:

Overall





Heat Factor





Favorite Quotes: 

"Take off the panties," he ordered, his voice rougher than before. Deeper. "And don't wear them again. They get in my way and I want you always available to me. Do you understand?"- Dmitri (one of the few dominant scenes I liked).

"A little kink ain't nothing to be ashamed of girl. If your fantasies were as vanilla as the rest of you, that's when I'd start to worry." - Danice


No comments:

Post a Comment