Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Review of A Blood Seduction by Pamela Palmer, Vamp City Book 1


Summary from the back cover: "Quinn Lennox is searching for a missing friend when she stumbles into a dark otherworld that only she can see- and finds herself at the mercy of Arturo Mazza, a dangerously handsome vampire whose wicked kiss will save her, enslave her, bewitch her, and betray her. What Arturo can't do is forget about her- any more than Quinn can control her own feelings for him. Neither one can let desire get in the way of their mission- his to save his people, hers to save herself. But there is no escape from desire in a city built for seduction, where passion flows hot and blood-red..."

My Review:

I met Pamela at a book convention in VA- Honestly, while she was on my "to read" list, I hadn't yet picked up one of her books. So, while I was there I bought the first book of her new Vamp City series, A Blood Seduction, got it signed and started it that night. She was incredibly nice so I was very curious about her work. And wow, she did not let me down!

This book was unlike any other paranormal romance book I've read yet and I've read hundreds, probably more. It was such a unique concept and it just worked. It was so mind blowing to read about this city made solely for vampires by a powerful sorcerer whose intent was actually to trap them! There is no sun, there is no human authority, and all humans are food/toys to be used however the vampires so choose. Parts of this book infuriated me which just made me unable to stop reading as I had to find out what happened next. This was no gooey love story by any means. It's filled with horror and pain and if you have a weak stomach it may not be for you. She crosses boundaries but she shows us that vampires are not all the loving, brooding, protective males so many other authors portray. She shows us a world in which vampires aren't trying to take over the world, because they already reign. It's a terrifying concepts and to be one of the humans trapped in that nightmare is incomprehensible.

Her vampires even go as far as to erase their victims memories so they can torture them over and over without the victims remembering any of it! It's twisted but so intense and enthralling that you feel like you're peeking into the windows spying on someones bondage session. Even the "good" vampires who have pieces of their compassion left consider the humans to be nothing more than slaves and it's a huge battle for Quinn not only to survive but to convince them, or one in particular, otherwise.

Thrust into that world by powers she doesn't understand Quinn is on a mission to rescue her brother and her friend but everything about the vampires is superior and she stands no chance without access to her powers. But, her stubborn ass somehow keeps managing to escape and it's empowering to see how hard she fights even with no chance of winning. Now with that said, I do have to admit that Quinn was not quite bad ass enough for me. She missed too many chances in my opinion and just wasn't as...well...smart as I'd hoped. You expect a certain level of badassness in a woman set in this type of world. The only saving grace here is that she is new to the paranormal world, wasn't expecting it, and isn't trained for it. So, I expect her to be much more prepared and fully ready to kick some vampire ass in the next book. I want to see some heads roll compliments of Quinn's weapons skills or hand to hand combat. She NEEDS a serious upgrade in that department.

Arturo and Quinn have a startling chemistry and even though he tells her she's his slave and she will bed him, work for him, and feed him, your first instinct as a reader isn't to hate him. You want to hate him but you just can't. It's thrilling because he's so commanding without being necessarily forceful. They have a fanatical connection and this book was certainly a fast read.

Pamela Palmer pushes past every boundary and ever paranormal romance stereotype to create a world like nothing you've ever experienced. She takes risks I rarely see and they pay off in a big way. This book is truly a must read but prepare yourself because it's not roses and chocolate. I highly recommend this author; Her outside the box writing has me hooked. I can't wait for the next one!

My Ratings:

Overall:





Heat Factor:






Favorite Quotes from the Book:

"Even the 'good' ones are monsters, Quinn. The sooner you understand that, the better off you'll be. There's no such thing as a good vampire." - Arturo

“His smile darkened. I most certainly will bite you. But I will bring you pleasure when I do so, cara. I have no intention of hurting you.” - Arturo

“A vampire may play with his food, but he never sets it free.” - Arturo

No comments:

Post a Comment